Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, Or How The Germans Say It "Schlachthof-fünf”

Author: Kurt Vonnegut

Publisher: Dell Publishing

Year: 1969

Genre:Science Fiction, War, Satire, Black Comedy, Postmodern Lit


Slaughterhouse-Five is about a man named Billy Pilgrim who experiences life events like the author, who has maintained that the experiences he had were true. He recounts the events that Billy Pilgrim experiences in World War Two and his time travel. This book is generally regarded as Vonnegut's most influential work.

I really liked and enjoyed this book. My favorite character was Billy Pilgrim. He had an interesting personality that drew me in and I could relate to him easily.

At times some of the events made me chuckle a bit. It was mainly when something was ironic or was made to be satirical. One part of the story, though, made me feel sad and angry. I won't mention what it was about because it is a spoiler.

Overall, the story gripped me and I could not get enough of the book until I was done with it. If one has the time, one can read the book in an afternoon. With that said, I read it intermittently in two days time.

I would suggest this book for anyone who likes Black Comedy, Postmodern Literature, Satirical novels, War novels, or Science Fiction.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment